Mt. Lebanon School District Celebrates 100 Years of Excellence in Education September 4, 2012
Students in front of the Mt. Lebanon School House around 1912.
In July 1912, the Mt. Lebanon School District came into legal existence established by a decree of the Court of Quarter Sessions as a fourth class district. A fourth class district was one with a population of under 5,000 (Mt. Lebanonís population at that time was 1705.) The state appointed five residents as school board members and they met to organize the new school district in the furnace room of the Amman Avenue School, referred to as the Mt. Lebanon School House in the Board minutes. The white clapboard building was located on the corner of Washington Road and Amman Avenue (now Cedar Boulevard.)Washington Road was a dirt road with wooden sidewalks.
One of the first items purchased by the Board was a flag pole for the front of the school. The Board hired teachers, a supervising principal and began to outline the school structure and curriculum that would lay the foundation for the communityís education system. The first day of school for the new district was September 2, 1912.