Lebo Parent University made a very successful debut on January 27. Close to three hundred participants signed up for fifteen sessions. The feedback was very positive, with 95% agreeing that the District should hold it again next year. Thank you to all of the presenters for preparing and sharing their expertise with their classes.
The classes and presenters included:
- What is Mindfulness and How Can It Help My Child and Me? Dr. Tim Steinhauer
- Peak Performance Through Nutrition: Auburn Weisensale, Director of Nutrition, University of Pittsburgh Athletics
- Executive Functioning: Building Skills for My Elementary Child: Heather Poremba, MTLSD K-12 School Psychologist, Lori Morin, Washington Elementary School Counselor.
- Social Citizenship: Parenting Considerations in the Age of Social Media: Chris Stengel, MTLSD Director of Technology
- Childhood Stress and Anxiety: How Can Parents Help: Susie Brookman,Assistant Director, Family Based Mental Health, Allegheny Children’s Initiative; Stephanie Smigiel,Clinical Director, Allegheny Children’s Initiative
- A High School Academic Record for Successful College Entrance: Tara Leja, Department Chair, Counseling, Mt. Lebanon School District
- Safety Strategies for School and Beyond – AliCE: School Resource Officer/MLPD, Mt. Lebanon Police Departmen Officer Bryan Henley.
- Current Trends in Drug and Alcohol Use in Teens: Dr. Tracy Scanlon, Outreach Teen and Family Services; Officer Scott Kunz, MLPD; Officer Jeff Kite, MLPD.
- Elementary Mathematics for Parents: Kim Robbins, Washington Elementary School Grade 4 Teacher; Stacy Chambers, Foster Elementary School Grade 1 Teacher; Julie Howe, Markham Elementary School Grade 4 Teacher; Margie DiGiorno, Howe Elementary Instructional Support Teacher.
If you attended, please fill out the feedback form that was emailed this week. This will help with planning for next year. Also, the slides for each session are available on your Sched class schedule.
Thank you to all who attended and took part in this event. We hope you came away with some new knowledge to add to your parenting tool box. Watch a slideshow of some of the classes.