The following resources provide information to help Mt. Lebanon School District families and staff navigate the complexities of COVID-19 and the impact the pandemic it is having on our daily lives. These resources will be updated as more information becomes available.
- TALKING TO YOUR CHILDREN ABOUT COVID-19
- PUBLIC HEALTH AGENCIES
- MENTAL HEALTH RESOURCES
- GENERAL ASSISTANCE
Sometimes we underestimate how deeply children internalize what they are hearing when events, such as a virus that spreads world-wide, occur. Below are resources that can help you have a discussion with your child about any fears and worries they may have about COVID - 19 and how they are processing what they are hearing on the news.
National Child Traumatic Stress Network
PARENT/CAREGIVER GUIDE TO HELPING FAMILIES COPE WITH THE CORONAVIRUS DISEASE 2019
American Psychological Association
Five Ways to View Coverage of the Coronavirus
Talking to kids about the coronovirus
Talking to your kids about scary news
CDC Managing Stress and Anxiety during COVID-19 Pandemic https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/managing-stress-anxiety.html
NASP Talking to children about COVID-19 (multilingual resources available) https://www.nasponline.org/resources-and-publications/resources-and-podcasts/school-climate-safety-and-crisis/health-crisis-resources/talking-to-children-about-covid-19-(coronavirus)-a-parent-resource
NCTSN Caregiver COVID-19 Preparedness fact sheet https://www.nctsn.org/sites/default/files/resources/fact-sheet/outbreak_factsheet_1.pdf
SAMSHA Taking care of behavioral health during an infectious disease outbreak https://store.samhsa.gov/product/Taking-Care-of-Your-Behavioral-Health-During-an-Infectious-Disease-Outbreak/sma14-4894
Resolve Crisis Services 1-888-7-YOU-CAN; 1-888-796-8226
National Suicide Prevention Line 1-800-273-8255 / Text CONNECT 741741
PA Dept. Drug & Alcohol 1-800-662-HELP(4357)
Food Distribution Map This map displays locations of free resource distribution sites in the region. Allegheny County
Mt. Lebanon School District provides Free Meals Daily at the High School Entrance C20 11:00-1:00. All children in Mt. Lebanon are welcome whether or not they attend MTLSD schools.
Salvation Army 1060 McNeilly Road/412-207-2127
PA Unemployment 888-313-7284
United Way 2-1-1 211 OR 888-553-5778
Free Internet 1-855-846-8376
MTLSD Tech resources Internet At Home
- Utility Assistance for those Affected by the Corona Virus
- PUC Urges Financially Stressed Consumers to Work with Utilities to
- PUC Prohibits Utility Terminations, Consistent with Governor’s Proclamation of Disaster Emergency
Duquesne Light 412-393-7100
Columbia Gas 1-888-460-4332
People’s Gas 1-800-400-9276
PA American Water 1-800-565-7292
Center for Schools and Communities
Important resource for low-income families in Pennsylvania who have had a recent loss of income. Human Services Launches Emergency Assistance Program to Help Low-Income Families Amidst COVID-19
- Families who qualify will be eligible for a one-time payment to assist them in meeting basic needs and help them secure more stable financial footing in the future.
- The program will be open to families with a child under the age of 18 or a woman who is currently pregnant.
- In order to qualify, families must have at least one person in the household who was employed as of March 11, 2020 and experienced an hour or wage reduction of at least 50 percent for two weeks or more or lost employment entirely due to the public health crisis.
- The emergency assistance application is available online at www.compass.state.pa.us. Families should be prepared to submit all necessary documentation with their application to expedite processing and avoid having to apply again. Applications will be accepted beginning Monday, May 11 through June 12 or until all funds are expended.
- Protections for All Pennsylvania Renters
- Coronavirus: Federal Protections for Renters
- Coronavirus: Protections for Homeowners
- Housing Alliance of PA COVID Information Pittsburgh location 412-281-1137 Rights and Benefits for Renters and Homeowners
- Urban Redevelopment Authority of Pittsburgh 412-227-4164
- Urban League of Greater Pittsburgh 412-227-4802
Mindful Moments - A daily streaming program that provides updates for the MTLSD school community and Mindfulness activities provided by Superintendent Timothy Steinhauer.
Mindful Resources -Resources that Dr. Steinhauer has featured during his daily Mindful Moments.
Health Literacy Project -This site translate accessible COVID-19 information into different languages to help all patients know when, and how, to seek care. The materials are created in collaboration with Harvard Health Publishing.
- Neighborhood Aid Serving the Mt. Lebanon and Dormont communities. 412-253-4104
- United Way of Southwestern PA
1-888-553-5778 or 2-1-1; TEXT your zip code to 898-211; http://pa211sw.org/ food, rent, utilities and other basic needs
- Allegheny Link 866-730-2368 rental services and referrals for other services
- Community Human Services 412-246-1640; Referral365@chscorp.org
- Pittsburgh Presbyterian Lazarus Fund 412-697-7390
- Immigrant Services and Connections (ISAC) 412-742-4200 Michelle King, Service Coordinator 412-892-4673 x345 email@example.com
- Port Authority (pass reimbursement) 412-442-2000
- PA Support and Referral Helpline 855-284-2494