Thursday, Aug. 29 and Friday, Aug. 30
Time: 3:15-5:00 p.m.
Jefferson Middle School gym
Please know that volleyball is a full Monday-Friday commitment from the end of August until late October. Students are expected to be at all practices and games. Practices last until 5:00 p.m. and games can be done as early as 5:30 p.m. and as late at 6:45 p.m. Since we have a large number of students interested in trying out, please make sure that your child does not have other sports or extracurricular activities that interfere with volleyball commitments during this time.
Please call the HS Athletic Office at 412-344-2008 with any questions regarding form completion and note that all forms must be completed no later than August 26, 2019 and the physical must take place after June 1, 2019. The attached handout reviews this process.
Many students have asked what they need to know before coming to tryouts in the end of August so that they have the best shot of making the team. The best advice we can give is to work on the basic volleyball skills of serving, passing, and setting along with general physical fitness and communication. We only over-hand serve at the middle school level, so mastering that skill prior to tryouts would help greatly in making the team.
Summer Volleyball Camp & Clinic Information:
Below are links that give information regarding volleyball camps and clinics this summer. Summer camps are not required, but they often help with learning the basics before tryouts and also help to determine if your child is truly interested in committing to tryouts and the season ahead.
- Cool Springs Volleyball Camps and Clinics - One evening a week in June and July to focus on basic skills
- P3R Volleyball Camp - Camps are not updated yet for 2019, but check for updates
- Pittsburgh Point Volleyball Camp - Click Sign Up Now for Summer Workouts (Located close at the South Hills JCC)
- University of Pittsburgh Volleyball Camp -Great opportunities to learn the game throughout July
- Nike Volleyball Camp at St. Vincent College July 7-10- Intensive work on basics and group play
- Greentree Pittsburgh Volleyball Camp June 22-23- Weekend date to review basics of the game
- Robert Morris Volleyball Camps- beginner to more advanced options of play
- Mt. Lebanon Volleyball Camp - The Mt.Lebanon High School volleyball team will have a beginner and an advanced volleyball camp this summer. Players can register here.