Sponsored by the National Association of Secondary School Principals, the National Honor Society (NHS) recognizes students who demonstrate outstanding accomplishments in the areas of scholarship, leadership, service and character. NHS membership is recognized as a mark of distinction because it reflects students’ successful academic achievement and personal contributions to our school and community. At Mt. Lebanon High School, NHS is a service organization. Membership awards students the opportunity to serve our school and community through service projects.
Scholarship: To be eligible for induction a weighted QPA of 3.8 or higher must be achieved. QPA will be evaluated at the conclusion of the fall semester of Junior year.
Leadership: Leaders organize, promote and facilitate. The NHS selection committee examines student initiative in organizing and promoting school activities, school spirit as well as community awareness and responsibility.
Service: Eligible students perform significant service on behalf of our school and community without personal benefit. A minimum of 30 hours of community service is required of Juniors to apply for membership. The 30 hours should span your years at the High School. (Students should accrue 5 in-school and 5 out-of-school service hours for their Freshman, Sophomore and Junior years.) All community service must be registered and on file in the Activities Office.
Character: NHS students consistently demonstrate respect, responsibility, academic integrity and good citizenship both in and out of school.
- To qualify a student must be a junior or senior and have completed at least one semester at Mt. Lebanon High School.
- The Quality Point Average (QPA) must be a cumulative 3.8 weighted (including the add-on) according to the Mt. Lebanon High School guidelines and in compliance with the National Chapter regulations. The QPA will be based on the weighted system. All high school grades including those from your previous high school(s) will be included.
- All QPA's will be verified based on mid-year calculations.
- Quality Point Average is calculated in February.
- A parent/student notification letter is sent to all students who meet the 3.8 weighted QPA informing them that the student has met the academic requirements.
- Group meetings are held for the purpose of informing prospective members of the goals and objectives of the National Honor Society and the selection process and requirements involving service, leadership and character.
- The completed application is submitted by the candidates who are interested in the National Honor Society organization.
- A five member Faculty Council, selected by Mr. McFeeley, and under the direction of the National Honor Society Adviser, Mrs. Smith, reviews each candidate in terms of service, leadership and character. All names will be removed from the applications before review by the Faculty Council.
- A letter is sent to the parents and student notifying them of the selection. All applicants will be notified.
- A mandatory rehearsal and induction ceremony is held in April.
MAINTAINING YOUR MEMBERSHIP
- The same requirements needed for membership must be continued to retain membership. These include maintenance of high academic achievement, acquiring a minimum of 10 hours of individual community service during senior year and participation in one NHS-sponsored event.
- Any single infraction of school policies may result in dismissal from NHS.
COMPLETION OF STUDENT APPLICATION PACKET
- All sections must be completed and appropriate signatures should be acquired.
- Submit the typed application with appropriate signatures and a printed copy of your community service hours by the deadline.
- Any questions should be directed to the National Honor Society faculty sponsor, Mrs. Christy Smith (Csmith@mtlsd.net).
|Community Service Fair||September 27, 2017|
Community service deadline for current NHS members
|December 15, 2017|
|Academic eligibility letters mailed to all juniors and seniors who have at least a 3.8 weighted GPA and are not already members of NHS||Week of February 5, 2018|
|Informational meetings are an opportunity to hear more about applying to NHS and ask any questions you might have. Both meetings are identical. Location: B607||February 13(7:15AM) or February 14(3:15PM)|
|Community service deadline for 2018-19 NHS applicants|
All community service hours must be on file with Mrs. Kolko in the Student Activities Office by this date.
March 2, 2018
|NHS application deadline for 2018-19 applicants|
All application parts must be received by 3:30 PM on this date; no extensions will be given for any reason. Applications should be turned into Mrs. Smith in the library.
|March 12, 2018|
|The NHS Selection Committee will meet to review applications.||March 20 and 21, 2018|
|Notification letters will be mailed.||March 27, 2018|
|NHS Induction ceremony (7 PM) and rehearsal (7:15 AM)|
Both will be held in the HS auditorium.
|April 10, 2018|
Directions for completing and submitting the 2018 NHS application
- Open the Google Doc with the link below. In order to have editing rights you must click on "File" and then "Make a Copy." (You will need to be logged in to Google to do this.)
- Rename the document. It will now be saved in your drive and you can complete the application.
- Please be concise yet descriptive in your responses. Your application will be reviewed anonymously. Put your best self on paper!
- You are given 3 opportunities to write about your leadership qualities. However, you need not have 3 examples. You may add or delete examples to this section as you wish.
- Be sure to acquire the appropriate signatures. Parents' signatures for verification of leadership are discouraged.
- Please type the application.
Your application is complete when you have submitted the following:
- A printed copy of your typed application with all appropriate signatures
- A printed copy of your community service record that has been signed by Mrs. Kolko. Your community service record is located in Dashboard under the label "More."
WHEN? MARCH 12, 2018 BY 3:30PM
WHERE? To Mrs. Smith in the Library
Mrs. Smith will be happy to answer your questions at any time.
Click here to view the Prezi from the 2/13 and 2/14 informational meetings.